Friday, February 10, 2012

Almost... A Good Movie


Well, I'm bringing blogging back. Something weird has happened to Flixter on Facebook and it's no longer easy and fun to post film reviews so I've decided to come back to my roots. Hoorah!

What finally inspired me to do this? A little film I picked up on DVD in the pound shop. I've been suffering from an awful sore throat and took a day off work sick. Unfortunately I ran out of aspirin and had to drag myself out to stock up. I took a little detour through Poundland and, as is my wont, had a little peek at the DVDs. There seemed to be an awful lot of what can only be described as visual Mills and Boon but amongst all that this one caught my eye.

I guess the Mills and Boon reference is not accidental because Roseanna Arquette's character plays a housewife who spends her spare time with her nose stuck in a romance novel. The premise is that her marriage to The Mouth of Sauron (Bruce Spence) is a bit stale and Hugo Weaving turns up in her life to inject a bit of excitement and romance. What intrigued me about this film is it wasn't as straight forward as it first seemed. Ronnie, the husband, is basically a good bloke so his wife running about with Elrond is a bit morally iffy (at least in the Hollywood book of morality). It was described as 'A Cinderella Story' on the box so I wondered if Hugo was some kind of fairy godmother type character... right up until he stuck his tongue down Roseanna's throat. "Hey," I thought to myself "that's no fairy godmother!"

Anyway, I won't spoil it in case you ever get the chance to see the film. Possibly on a Sunday afternoon or when you're off sick from work and lurking under a duvet. I definitely found it worth the pound I spent on it though. It's kind of very good in a bad looking way, and I love that!

IMDB link - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098959/

No comments: